Wednesday 22 October 2014

Douglas Peruski: Camera Lenses



Douglas Peruski is an actor and impresario, one of the founders of the popular Square Peg Players theatre troupe and performance center, located on the outskirts of Duluth, Georgia.
He is also a skilled photographer, and while so far his work has only appeared in the Greek restaurant where he works (Achilles), it has generated considerable interest from the Duluth Smart Set. He has even sold a couple of prints.


When he first began taking his photography more seriously, Douglas Peruski was using an old camera that had been lying around the house for just about as long as he could remember. “I sort of inherited it from my parents,” he says. “I use the word ‘inherited’ advisedly, since both my folks are still around. Bu the camera had been around forever and no one ever used it, as far as I know. I don’t know where it came from. I asked, ‘You guys mind if I start using this?’ and they said, ‘Go for it.’”

He used that camera, a Nikon-F he thinks was manufactured in the early 1960s, for about five years. But then the urge to catch up with the times became strong, and Douglas Peruski bought himself a brand new, top-of-the-line, digital 35mm camera.

“The camera itself wasn’t all that expensive,” he says. “But the lenses sure are. I won’t say much, but they were a lot. I’ve only got two, a 50mm to 400mm zoom, and an 18mm to 50mm wide angle zoom.” Douglas Peruski says the lenses are the really expensive component in his camera system because they are made with high quality materials. And the results, he says, can be seen in his pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment